[Gloucs] PC purchase update

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 09:59:12 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> "They normally do a complete reinstall toinsure there is no
> data form the original owner left on there."
> urrrgh hope they use some proper software first, my customers

Whilst I can appreciate that many members of this list would need to do
this as a routine part of their job, there is such a thing as looking a
gift horse in the mouth. ;-)

They're presumably a charity, or at least a non-profit, so hiring spods
or getting them to volunteer their time is already difficult, as good
spods are hard to find even when you're offering a decent salary.
Strictly speaking, I think, the onus for data protection is upon the
companies which kindly donated their PCs to the project. Here at
hesa.ac.uk we've donated a bunch of PCs to www.computers4africa.org.uk ,
and we made sure we boot-and-nuked them before they were collected, in
addition to that charity's existing data wiping policy.

--
Andrew Oakley

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by
guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ.
Registered No. 2766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE.
Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 27001.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA,
registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 3109219.