[Gloucs] FC11 vs Ubuntu 9.04, Thoughts?

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 12:23:08 UTC 2009

On 30/07/09 00:20, Scarby wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to the latest
> releases from ubuntu and fedora (as far as desktop linux goes), having
> been using fedora since FC3 then switching to ubuntu about 3 years ago i
> have now gone back to looking at FC11 and come to the conclusion that i
> actually prefer it to the latest ubuntu distribution (for some reason
> that seems to escape me as both dpkg and yum seem equally capable and i
> use both running gnome)

I'm using F11 and in general I'm happy with it. I have two significant
problems with it:

1. Screen blanks occasionally whilst in use
2. Resume from suspend occasionally results in a frozen screen,
requiring a reboot

There's an open BZ for 1 with plenty of traffic on it. I don't have the
number to hand, but I'd be surprised if it persisted much longer.
Consensus seemed to be it was a GNOME bug related to screensaver. Screen
unblanks if you touch the keyboard or mouse.

2 is genuinely pretty annoying because I use suspend a lot. It's almost
certainly a display driver bug. Because I don't use any nVidia crap,
Ubuntu is going to have the same issue. F10 had similar problems which
got cleared up before F11 was released. My fingers are crossed.

Apart from that it's got everything you want, it's just blue instead of
brown. And if you want virtualisation it's unbeatable.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490