[Gloucs] Netbooks getting *stupidly* cheap

rodney at rodneyorpheus.com rodney at rodneyorpheus.com
Tue Jun 30 11:37:26 UTC 2009

I've got one of these already and it's a great little machine especially for that money (as long as you don't expect to be playing 3D games on it). I think they are clearing shelves now because of the next generation coming along soon with nVidia graphics chips and Windows 7.

The Linpus distro isn't as bad as some shipped on netbooks (Asus Xandros, I'm looking at you), since it's basically Fedora 8 with a new front end. Ubuntu 9.04 works fine on them according to all reports, or of course any newer version of Fedora.

Rodney

-------------

I wouldn't normally forward a commercial offer, and I'm wary lest
GloucsLUG be overwhelmed by netbook enthusiasts, but... bloody hell,
these things are getting cheap.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146879

Acer Aspire One, Intel Atom 270 1.6GHz single core CPU, 1GB RAM, 120GB
HD, 9" 1024x600 screen, WiFi, webcam & Linpus Linux pre-installed for
GBP150 inc. VAT & delivery. Will browse Youtube and play back
XviD/DivX video just fine.

Anyone know why there's a hundred quid price drop? I even saw Dell are
shunting out at 10" netbook for under 200 squids this week. Are the
manufacturers shunting out the single-core Atom stock and getting
ready to standardise on Atom 330 dual-core? What's going on? Six
months ago I thought the Maplin Minibook with 400MHz and 128MB RAM was
a fair deal at GBP120, even if underpowered, now look what you can
get. This is way beyond the normal Moore's Law economic spin-off,
surely?

Okay so it doesn't have Bluetooth nor 3G, and the 3-cell battery life
with a mechanical hard drive will be pants, so it isn't ideal for
on-the-move use, but for the kids playroom or as a kitchen/sofa PC
this seems well suited.

It's getting to the point now where all those second-hand parts we've
been squirrelling away for that "one day..." project (mine: WYSE
terminal in the bog; don't say you haven't considered it) are now not
merely underpowered, but costing more in storage space than they could
ever provide in potential compared to buying new.

On the one hand, it's wonderful that so many people will be able to
afford their very own proper PC - and even better that it'll be Linux
- but on the other hand, I can't help wondering about all those
serviceable, usable, useful old PCs which will now just go straight to
landfill. I mean, at this rate, even charitable donation to a "PCs for
Africa" scheme is going to reach a point where it no longer makes
sense - and fairly soon.

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com