[Gloucs] Laptop Suggestions

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 09:31:16 UTC 2009

I'm on the hunt for a new laptop. Although I have a rough idea of the
spec I'm after, I've found it a little difficult to find a price
comparison site (for laptops) that allows me to filter on what I need.

So I thought I see if I could get any suggestions from you guys.

My basic spec is:

CPU: must be dual core, 1.8GHz or better
RAM: 2GB or more
HDD: 120GB or more
Screen: 15.4" widescreen
Graphics: Preferably Intel or ATI [1]
Wireless: Preferably not Broadcom [1]
Optical drive: DVD +/- RW

[1] I want to dual boot Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) and despite plenty of
workarounds, these have always caused me the biggest headache.

I've seen a Lenovo R61 with most of  my requirements, but with an nVidia
graphics card, for £523, so I'm working on that being my budget.

Can anyone suggest other makes and models that might be worth looking
at. Or suggest a comparison site that would provide help hints as to
what alternatives there are out there.

Cheers,
Barbie.
--