[Gloucs] Laptop Suggestions

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 11:08:38 UTC 2009

Firstly, many thanks for all your suggestions. I have a plenty of
browsing to do over the next few days :)

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:50:54AM -0000, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:

> I have, so far, been very please with the results etc... But with the drop
> in prices recently I suspect you may be better off buying new...

I've noticed this. Even on eBay second-hand are going for more than new!
But then again that's eBay all over. An R61 similar to what I was after,
but with less HDD capacity and slower CPU was attempting to be sold for
more than £600.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:18:45AM +0000, John Kilgour wrote:
> Try looking at www.dabs.com. This has quite a good search facility and shows
> the Toshiba L300 series ticks all your boxes.

Never thought to try Dabs, I've usually only bought parts from them.
Thanks for the tip :)

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:26:15AM +0000, Andrew Oakley wrote:

> Dell, despite being a faceless mega-corp, ...

Dell were one of the first I looked at as they usually have quite a nice
selection of upgrades. My other half has the Inspiron 1501, and while
not a bad laptop, the graphics card can't handle a large resolution and
as you note they use the Broadcom wireless. The latter I would never
touch with a bargepole ever again. Broadcom is possibly the worse
chipset I've ever had to deal with. It continually drops the connection
(even on Windows too), and despite buying a second internal card, we're
still getting the same problems.

> On the downside, they come with Broadcom wireless (both WiFi and
> Bluetooth are Broadcom, IIRC). Handling this in Ubuntu is a simple
> case of enabling restricted drivers, done in two clicks and an "are
> you sure".

If only it was that easy :) I might bring my missus laptop along
tomorrow and see whether I've missed something complete obvious though
:)

> I hate to support large corporations over the small guys, but Dell
> seem to be doing all the right things.

Generally I would agree, but until they ditch Broadcom from their
products, I'm not eager to jump through even more hoops.

Cheers,
Barbie.
--
2009 QA Hackathon <http://qa-hackathon.org>