[Gloucs] Laptop Suggestions

nik wadge nik.wadge at orchardbs.com
Mon Mar 16 11:27:04 UTC 2009

Barbie,

Euro-pc sometimes have some good refurbs available.
"I've noticed this. Even on eBay second-hand are going for more than new!
But then again that's eBay all over. An R61 similar to what I was after,
but with less HDD capacity and slower CPU was attempting to be sold for
more than £600. "

Do people still use e-bay?"congratulations, you have won"..NO, I just paid more, it's not a competition. Scams aside people always think they're junk is worth more than people want to (or should) pay

"Dell were one of the first I looked at as they usually have quite a nice
selection of upgrades. My other half has the Inspiron 1501, and while
not a bad laptop, the graphics card can't handle a large resolution and
as you note they use the Broadcom wireless. The latter I would never
touch with a bargepole ever again. Broadcom is possibly the worse
chipset I've ever had to deal with. It continually drops the connection
(even on Windows too), and despite buying a second internal card, we're
still getting the same problems."

Hmmm, I have the Dell XPS1300 with 256Mb nVidia card and have NO connection problems at all.
I used to with an intel chipset and Atheros chipset on other machines and found that it was my routers (I tried 2) Funnily enough they were both D-Link. Now the Belkin I am using has a clear and stable signal no matter what chipset.
The fact you have tried a different card on this machine would suggest it's not the cards.

Hope thats of some help (Apart from the ebay bit, thats just a rant...)

Nik