[Gloucs] Help Wanted

Mike Tonge tongemichael at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 21 14:30:25 UTC 2009

Hello all,
		I've just joined this user group in the hope that someone can help me
with a problem.

I'm currently helping out at a charity called 'IT Schools for Africa'.
To see what they do, please look here:

http://www.itschoolsafrica.org/

I'm trying to find a way to easily detect the hardware on a PC with no
OS and conduct some rudimentary tests. The process will be performed by
mostly non-technical people, so the user interaction should be kept to a
minimum. At some point it would be nice to fire the system information
and test results straight into a database, but on-screen output would be
a good start.

I have been Googling like crazy for the last week but I've only found
one site which has anything close to a solution:

http://www.inquisitor.ru/about/

But the hardware detection isn't very good and the tests take forever.

Another possible solution is to use knoppix and add extra app's and
scripts to do the work. I wouldn't know how to do this right now, but I
like a challenge as long as I'm confident that I'm on the right track.

For obvious reasons, the solution must use free software.

If any of you know of a solution or even a good starting point to one,
I'd be grateful to hear it.

BTW If you have some spare time on your hands and you'd like to
volunteer, please contact: info at itschoolsafrica.org.

Many Thanks

Mike Tonge