[Gloucs] OfflineImap & Google Apps

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Thu May 7 09:43:10 UTC 2009

Could anyone please express their opinions of the free basic service of
Google Apps http://www.google.co.uk/a with regard to handling domain
transfer, DNS, MX, SMTP and IMAP for personal domains?

I want to simplify my current twist-turny maze of email forwarding, MX
records, SMTP and IMAP servers. I want to have my personal domain
registration/renewal, DNS, SMTP and IMAP all handled by one reliable
company.

I also want to sync IMAP with Gmail.

I can see how to buy a domain with Google Apps, also I can see how to
configure an existing domain with Google Apps whilst retaining the
existing domain registrar. Can someone explain how I *transfer* (in the
domain registrar sense) an existing domain to Google Apps?

Then I'd like to use OfflineImap
http://software.complete.org/software/wiki/offlineimap (as demonstrated
at last month's meeting) on my home server for maildir speed across the
LAN, and also use it on my netbook for disconnected access. Any comments
on that idea?

In particular:

* Run offlineimap on the home LAN server
* Run offlineimap on my netbook
* When at home, use my netbook to sync with the home LAN server
(mail->googleimap->homeofflineimap->netbookofflineimap)
* When away, use my netbook to sync with Google IMAP server
(mail->googleimap->netbookofflineimap)

So the offlineimap on my netbook will need to seamlessly switch between
syncing with my home offlineimap and Google's IMAP server.

The reason for my desire to switch IMAP servers is that the upstream
bandwidth from my home is slow (ADSL). Any other solutions?

Andrew Oakley
Head of Software Development
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk
<http://www.hesa.ac.uk/>

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by
guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ.
Registered No. 2766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE.
Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 27001.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA,
registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 3109219.