[Gloucs] Andy's rant.

Maximillian Murphy m at de-minimis.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 13:23:01 UTC 2009

På Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:48:49 +0000 skrive
Geoff Bagley <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com>:

> However, I now  have a resulting  problem.
> My son Chris is very happy surfing on Lenny,  but wants to be able to do
> lots of things that I am not geared up for !
>
> He  has a Kodak digital camera that is NOT Linux friendly -  (no
> problems with my Canon).
> He also wants to use YouTube and also to download stuff from various
> Linux-unfriendly sites.

I don't know about the camera but wherever gnash fails Adobe flash works fine for me.  For 32-bit the standard Adobe download page is the place to look.  I'm on x86-64.  64-bit flash player isn't on the standard Adobe download page but is available from here:
  http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html

I suppose more details on the camera unfriendliness might crack the problem.  I don't get through a lot of cameras but I have yet to come across one that I can't mount as a filesystem.

> He is talking about getting his own Windows Laptop (grrrrr).

When my youngest sister went to university I got her a laptop with Linux installed.  She made similar mutterings as she thought I was merely a one-off Linux nut.  When she got there she mentioned this to one of her housemates who replied that if she installed windows he might not be answerable for his own actions.  He said he might be found prowling around the house at night with an axe looking for the offending machine.  She has now converted not only herself but a number of art history classmates as well after a session where Powerpoint failed for a number of them and the FOSS equivalent ran without trouble.  Extended battery life on Linux seems to be a big winner too!

> The best I can hope for is dual-boot.

Nah, send him to university!

That said, joking aside lil' sis did get a decent chance to play with both platforms (and Apple, so technically all three platforms) and eventually the best platform won.

Regards, Max