[Gloucs] external monitor on intel powered laptop

Tom Walker mrtom at gmx.co.uk
Sun Oct 4 19:09:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

My new laptop has an Intel card (as well as an nvidia). I've succesfully used the external display with a few large screen monitors and I've been really impressed with randr. I've had two problems though.

Firstly, using KDE 'system settings' or 'grandr' to try to set up large desktop doesn't work. I only get the option of creating a mirrored screen. Manually using xrandr to set '--left-of' is fine so I'm not sure what problem the GUI apps have. I would like to hear any other experiences.

Secondly, I don't think the output from my laptop correctly initializes the display mode. My TV/monitor keeps displaying a "check signal cable" warning - even though the picture behind the message is perfect. The warning doesn't go away which is making this unusable. Also, if another DVI connection correctly shuts down the display then I can't get the TV to even allow the input - it just thinks that there is nothing connected, even though X is talking to it for screen modes!

My TV does work fine for another laptop and a windoze PC.

In case it matters, I'm using no xorg.conf - I just let it do its thing :-)

Regards,
Tom