[Gloucs] FW: Anti-virus and spyware checking for windows clients?

Nik Wadge Nik.Wadge at orchardbs.com
Tue Jan 26 23:35:42 UTC 2010

Apologies for the confusing mail, was sent from my HTC mobile and the spell checker was working against me.

What I meant to say is don't remove anti-virus from your Windows PC even if you have a good firewall/email filter. Viruses can still get in as updates to virus defs can take up to 24 hours to arrive which leaves a good window of opportunity.
If however you more than 1 line of defence it's harder for a virus to get in and/or take effect.

The Yoggi and Pico stuff is a self-contained USB device with it's own memory and processor so it takes all that grunt away from your PC/laptop and lets it get on with what you want to do. All access to the device is through http: so it works on virtually any platform, sweet! Around £100 to £150 for the device and 12 months definition subscription.

As for Linux AV, I have also found BitDefender to be very good and simple to use.

Just my tuppence (Without spellchecking interference)

Nik