[Gloucs] ADSL speeds

Rob Jervis rob at jervis.ws
Thu Mar 11 09:45:17 UTC 2010

You are having issues with your IP Profile.  This can be reset by calling
the ISP or by waiting a few days.
See this page for some background:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html#229 (Thanks to google,
it saves me some typing.  )

START QUOTE FROM http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html#229Why
is my IP Profile a lot lower than my downstream connection speed?

If you for example have a connection speed of 4032Kbps and an IP Profile of
just 0.75Mbps, this suggests that at some point within the last five days
your modem reconnected to the exchange at a connection speed between 864Kbps
and 1151Kbps. The IP Profile will improve given time and prior to August
2007 this was on a fixed 3 day wait period before it improved. As of August
2007 a more flexible system has been implemented where large improvements in
the IP Profile may take place with 75 minutes, for example a jump from
135Kbps up to 7.15Mbps should happen quickly, whereas a small increment from
3.5Mbps to 4Mbps may take the full 5 days the current system allows.

The reason why the changes take a length of time is to avoid millions upon
millions of database updates each day, which will impact on BT Wholesales
ability to manage the network.

It should be remembered that the IP Profile will lower immediately (within a
minute or so) if your downstream connection speed changes and takes into the
range for a different IP Profile.

END QUOTE

Hope this helps,
Rob

On 11 March 2010 08:32, Richard Mellersh <richard.mellersh at googlemail.com>wrote:

> I have changed isp and had the same thing - the Techie told me that the
> `system' would `learn' the maximum speed.  Needless to say I was skeptical
> but it was correct after about 12 days its is up to about 5.9M.
> Richard
>
> On 10 March 2010 22:36, John Kilgour <wj.kilgour at btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> > Before I went away for a few days I regularly got a download speed of 5
> > Mbps
> > and an upload speed of  440 Kbps. Real download speeds of Linux updates
> etc
> > were around  400 KBps. At 2 Km from the exchange I found this very
> > satisfactory.  While I was away I switched everything off.
> >
> > On my return I switched everything on and got download speeds of ~ 40KBps
> > i.e.
> > about 10% of previously. A speed test using www.broadband.co.ukconfirmed
> > these numbers - download 400Kbps - upload 38Kbps.
> >
> > The status page on the ADSL router (Linksys WAG160N) says downstream rate
> > 5472
> > Kbps and upstream rate 448 Kbps. This reflects the pre holiday
> performance.
> >
> > Another computer in the house using XP gives the same results. Has anyone
> > any
> > ideas? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > John Kilgour

> --