[Gloucs] Converting video tapes to DVD.

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Wed Mar 24 09:04:53 UTC 2010

On 23/03/2010, Geoff Bagley <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I have a collection of video tapes which I need to convert to DVD.
> Any advice would be appreciated.

To be quite honest, I do this by having a cheap DVD-TV recorder, and
doing VCR-> SCART -> DVD. No PC involved but the quality isn't great.
You can get a consumer DVD-TV recorder for about £60-70 these days.

However if you want to do it the computer way, you need:

VCR -> composite/component video leads -> PCI/USB video or TV card ->
PC -> MPEG2 encoder -> DVD

I happen to have a spare Dazzle Digital Video Creator 80 which you can
have. I have NEVER used it (was thrown out by a colleague), I have NO
IDEA if there are Linux drivers or kernel support, I have no discs or
manuals, I don't even know if it works. However if you would like to
pick this up from Cheltenham Promenade one lunch time, or Tewkesbury
one evening, email me off-list and we'll arrange to meet.

Product website:
http://bit.ly/aqYtTD

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com