[Gloucs] Another newbie lurking

Will Rendell b19wll at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 10:57:31 UTC 2010

Another newbie lurking...........

Hello, I have been on this list for a couple of years now, but have been
very quiet and as of yet have not attended any of the meetings :(

I am trying to make the effort to be more proactive on the list and attend
meetings, I would have loved to come to this months as I am intrested in
Virtuliastion, but other commitments meant I could not make it :(

Anyway my name is Will and I run Ubuntu (desktop) and Centos(server) as well
as freenas and smoothwall at home, I also have a few centos VPS's on the
internet that I use to host DNS and backup MX's for a Centos based
Virtualmin server.

I work in Cheltenham and live in Tewkesbury and my four children keep me
very busy as a taxi driver!

Hoping to come to the next meeting.

Regards

Will

On 20 October 2010 10:41, Matthew Phillips <phillips321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Glad linux rescued the laptop for going into the bin.
>
> There are plenty of free programs you can install ontop of linux.
>
> I haven't played with mint but in ubuntu it's as easy as going into the
> ubuntu software centre and clicking what you want.
>
> Let us know if you get stuck and hopefully we'll see you at the next meet.
>
> Matt
>
> On 20 October 2010 10:37, Bob Henson <robert.h.henson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought I'd just say hello to everyone from sunny Tetbury. I've joined
> > the mailing list to see what you all get up to - it all seems a way
> > above my head at the moment.
> >
> > I've just rescued an old laptop by installing Linux Mint (Ubuntu) and
> > was pleasantly surprised to find a huge improvement, so I'm trying to
> > find out a bit more about Linux. The laptop was all but useless running
> > Windows XP (I got tired of having to go and make a cup of tea to pass
> > the time whilst it booted) and since I've just retired and don't need it
> > for work any more, I thought there was nothing to lose. With only a slow
> > Celeron processor and 512Kb memory, I wasn't too optimistic, but it
> > runs a treat and, so far, I haven't found anything that I can't make
> > it do. It's all very different to Windows, of course, and my old
> > geezer's brain isn't what it used to be - but I'm learning slowly.
> >
> > Maybe I can pick your brains if I get stuck anywhere? My only
> > problem so far is nothing to do with Linux. Because I only use Gmail on
> > the laptop, my posts to mailing lists don't seem to get echoed back to
> > me, so if anyone has a second or two to reply, I'll know this arrived
> > OK.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bob

William Rendell