[Gloucs] Virtualbox and USB

Matthew Phillips phillips321 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:46:15 UTC 2010

How have you set up the networking on the virtual machines?

I'm not fully in the know of virtbox but vmware has 4 settings:
Host only: only allows the VM to talk to the host
Bridged: shares the physical network interface of host. This means you'll
have to have some form of DHCP server on your nework (usually your home wifi
router will perform this function).
NAT: Shares the IP address of the host by NATting any Virtual devices inside
the host. (The virtualbox service will run a DHCP server and issue IP
addresses to virtual machines)
Custom: Allows you to create a custom virtual network for a group of VMs.

First off ensure both virtual devices have IP addresses. Then try to ping
them both from the host and then try to ping them from each other.

If this succeeds perform a port scan again, but against the host from each
device. If this then gets through then try scanning from one vm to the
other.

TIP: Temporarily disable the firewalls that are running, it'll help to rule
out and form of IDS running on the host (i've seen IPS implemented in
software on recent penetration tests which caused all kinds of difficuly!)

Take care

Matt P