[Gloucs] Hypervisors.

Anthony Edward Cooper aecooper at coosoft.plus.com
Sun Sep 19 10:56:15 UTC 2010

It is possible to detect whether you are inside a VM or not and there
are exploits out there that can be used to jump onto the host system.
The more widely used virtualisation software like VMware is going to be
targeted more because of its prevalence. Ironically stiff like
VirtualBox, aimed primarily at the home/enthusiast/college user will
probably be more secure as it is less likely that someone would have
written an exploit for it. But it is a good product and if they ever do
an ESX style VirtualBox then who knows...

However, there is a big difference between what is possible and what is
likely. Virus/malware detector companies will always push the former and
not the latter as it is good business to scare people. Most attacks are
done by mindless script kiddies using other people's hard work via tools
like metasploit. I good hardware firewall, a few free anti-virus
products (AVG, win-clam etc) and regular patching will normally do the
trick. Also regular backups as a good thing as well.

As for unprotected windows VMs... If the host is Linux/non-windows and
no other windows machines are booted up on your local network at the
time and the VM has non-persistent storage then you should be ok. If you
want persistent storage then deny the VM access to the internet by
selecting host only networking.

For what it's worth I can give a quick chat about my experiences with
VMware and VirtualBox (but only if there is time after our main speaker
:-) ). But nothing that most people probably wouldn't know already.....
Perhaps posting here would be better.......

Tony.