[Gloucs] Changing Operating systems.

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 12 19:29:08 UTC 2011

I currently have a Ubuntu system running on my ASUS laptop,  but would like to replace the operating  system with Debian.

I have a backing store on a 495GB external drive onto which I can save all my collected information.

Which files (e.g. /home/* ) do I need to transfer to the external back-up drive,  so that the new OS can pick up the whole system ?

Alternatives might have been  dual-boot,  or a virtual machine implementation,  though I currently have an inclination to dump Ubuntu in favour of Debian.

Please does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Best regards,

Geoff