[Gloucs] Printer, scanner and All-in-one's

Andrew Ford A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 16:40:41 UTC 2011

Our Epson 7600 has 7 colours - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Light Cyan,
Light Magenta (light yellow isn't necessary as yellow is perceived as
light anyway)... and the final colour is described as "Light Black"!  I
suspect that that is what you've got too as your fifth cartridge.  It is
essentially gray, but having black and gray gives a wider range of
shades of black than just having a single black cartridge.

Most printers - even fine art printers like the Epson wide-format
printers - are sRGB devices, so they map RGB values into the CMYK colour
space (black is represented as K to differentiate it from B for Blue in
RGB colour space).  Colour management is quite a complex subject (my
wife does fine art printing for artists and galleries).  Unfortunately
colour management in Linux is only now starting to catch up with Windows
and Macs.

It amazes me how well consumer photo printers perform, although the cost
of inks astounds me.  Most consumer-grade printers use 15 to 20 ml
cartridges, which can cost about £25.  The professional quality inks we
use come in 200 ml cartridges costing about £60 each.  Go do the maths!

Andrew