[Gloucs] Type 1 hypervisor.

Will Rendell will at rendell.me.uk
Sat Jun 4 16:58:13 UTC 2011

Hi just catching up on my emails while sat in Asda car park waiting for the
wife! And thought that I would point out that VMWare do a free version of
their ESXi product.

Just thought I would throw it into the pot.

Regards

Will
On 1 Jun 2011 09:02, "Anthony Edward Cooper" <aecooper at coosoft.plus.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> Virtual box on the other had has a very light foot print and just
> works. One can disconnect from the console of the machine and run
> headless (with the non-free RDP extensions).
>
> I evaluated both VMware server 2 an VirtualBox 3.1.x - non free
> (this time last year). The only reason I went with VMware server was
> this was for my machine at work and:
> 1) The licence for VMware server would be free for the company and
> VirtualBox would not be (with the extensions). However for home use this
> is completely irrelevant as the business edition is free for home use.
> 2) We do use VMware ESX at work and using VMware server 2 means
> that the VMs created on that product would work directly inside ESX
> (which I have done).
>
> Otherwise I would have gone with VirtualBox as it uses less
> resources and according to postings suffers less from processor creep.
>
> If you go for VMware and you want to run VMs on your machine even if
> you are logged out of the host and connect into the VMs via
> X11/RDP/VNC/NoMachine then go for VMware server (it's like a poor man's
> ESX server). You could try ESXi? (free for home use) but server will
> probably suffice. If you just want to run up a couple of VMs on the
> desktop and access their desktop consoles directly then player should
> give better graphics performance as it is non-detachable and renders
> more directly.
>
> But if you go the player route you might as well use VirtualBox (VB
> can run headless/detached you just have to do it from the command line
> rather than a `nice' GUI).
>
> As for Xen, does this really count as virtualisation software or
> more like Solaris's Zones? You need quite specific hardware extensions
> to run this - albeit readily available in modern processors (may not be
> available in the mobility range). I have not tried it as I don't have
> the hardware that supports these extensions. Also Xen seems to be going
> out of favour.
>
> Tony.
>
> Steve Fraser wrote:
>> Copied and pasted directly from the VirtualBox website:
>>
>> "Before version 4.0, there were two editions of VirtualBox: a full binary
>> containing all features and an "Open Source Edition" (OSE) with source
code.
>> With version 4.0, there is only one version any more, which is open
source,
>> and the closed-source components have been moved to a separate extension
>> pack."
>>
>> "The binaries are released under the terms of the GPL version 2." (This
is
>> referring to the open source binaries)
>>
>> And this is what is says about the extension pack: "Support for USB 2.0
>> devices, VirtualBox RDP and PXE boot for Intel cards. See this chapter
from
>> the User Manual for an introduction to this Extension Pack. The Extension
>> Pack binaries are released under the VirtualBox Personal Use and
Evaluation