[Gloucs] Scaling .JPG images

John Kilgour wj.kilgour at btopenworld.com
Fri Jun 17 16:00:01 UTC 2011

On Friday 17 Jun 2011 14:24:02 GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> I have a .JPG image of a ground plan which I wish to enlarge by scaling.
>
> I have tried using the GIMP by loading the image, and then scaling it up.
>
> On the display it looks fine, but I have not been able to print out the new
> larger version - it reverts to the original.
>
> Please where am I going wrong ?
>
> Geoff

Dear Geoff,
I have used showFoto successfully to do this.
Open your jpg file in showFoto.
Select Transform from menu.
Chose resize.
Use the slider bars to get the new size in pixels.
If you check the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" button the aspect ratio will not be
changed.
Save file as whatever.
When you print the new file it will be resized when compared with the old one.
Obviously the enlarged picture will appear less sharp.
There is a "Restoration Mode" to scale up to a huge size. This is slow but
might give a sharper enlargement.

John Kilgour