[Gloucs] Abiword

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri May 6 06:46:26 UTC 2011

Dear Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly, I had recently installed Debian Squeeze from a DVD.

Yesterday I tried to set up Abiword using apt-get install, but
all I got was a message to say that the package could not be found.

So, I decided to go back to Debian Lenny,  and this morning I booted it up intending to do as you had suggested.
I got the same "couldn't find package abiword".

I still have abiword (my favourite word processor) on this ASUS 64 bit laptop.  The Debian is on an (old) nearby 32 bit desktop. I became worried that abiword (which I think is part of GNOME) was to be dropped.
I use Ubuntu 10.10 on the laptop for family reasons. I really have a preference for Debian.

One small observation.  On the desktop machine, the cursor was a bit jumpy when booting up Squeeze,  but very stable when booting up Lenny. I am tempted to go back to "Etch"  to try my luck there, but it is a load of tedious activity,  and for various reasons I am otherwise occupied.

Could you please make any suggestions concerning the "sources.list"?
Maybe that is where the shortfall lies in both cases.

With sincere thanks for your interest.

Geoff.