[Gloucs] Video card on a new computer

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.org.uk
Sun May 8 14:53:11 UTC 2011

John Kilgour wrote:

> I may soon have to replace my 2003 PC with an Athlon XP processor and
> Intel graphics. Possible new machines (low cost) have Intel, Nvidia
> or ATI radeon graphics. Please can any of you indicate which of these
> are most Linux friendly?

Like others, I have always used Nvidia on my desktop.  Shame the drivers
are proprietary but you have to decide; do you want stable, fast 3D
graphics or not.  Using Debian/Ubuntu, I have not had to manually
compile/tweak the driver for years.  I currently use a GeForce GT 240.

My only experience with ATI is on an old X31 laptop for which support
varies but is never great. I've used various integrated Intel cards on
netbooks and laptops.  These all work fine with 3D acceleration on the
latest open source drivers; good enough for the new desktops and media
playback but limited for games.

Regards,
Paul