[Gloucs] Emacs - find-grep-dired case insensitivity

Andrew Ford A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk
Tue May 24 20:18:03 UTC 2011

On 24/05/11 11:47, Phil Ironside wrote:
> Yo
>
> Puzzlement.
>
> Using find-grep-dired I cannot get it do a case insensitive search.
>
> I have
>
> (setq case-fold-search t)
>
> set in my .emacs file but it still does not work as expected. I have searched online and that is the only advice that I can get.

If you look at the lisp code for find-grep-dired (in
.../lisp/find-dired.el) you will see that it constructs the find command
line as follows:

      (find-dired dir
               (concat "-type f -exec " grep-program " "
    find-grep-options " -e "
                   (shell-quote-argument regexp)
                   " "
                   (shell-quote-argument "{}")
                   " "
                   (shell-quote-argument ";"))))

find-grep-options is defined by default as "-q" on Linux, so you could
just set it with:

   (setq find-grep-options "-q -i")

Put this in your .emacs file and all your find-grep and find-grep-dired
commands will be case-insensitive.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford
South Wing Compton House, Compton Green,