[Gloucs] IP v6.

Peter Grandi pg_glolug at glolug.for.sabi.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 22:07:31 UTC 2011

> It appears that IPv6 will be upon us in the forseeable future.
> I guess I will have to ditch my present NETGEAR WiFi router.

Currently and for a long time almost no ISP supports native IPv6
connections (the only exception I know of ia A&A). So you don't
need to change your router. Also, if it is one of the NetGears
with a larger memory, you can reflash it with one of the Linux
based NetGear distros, and Linux supports IPv6.

IPv6 for a long time to come will be supported in tunnel mode,
most commonly with either IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnelling:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6to4

or with IPv6-in-UDP4 tunnelling, usually SixXS/AICCU or else
(rather less probably) Teredo/Miredo:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AICCU
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

(or IPv6 rapid deployment in France).

> Does anyone have any ideas how the change will affect FLOSS
> users? [ ... ]

Most free sw distros support IPv6 for almost all services and
almost all programs (servers or clients) support both IPv6 and
IPv4.