[Gloucs] Raspberry Pi accessories

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Mon Jun 25 21:44:43 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Bit of RPi chat at the last meeting so I thought I'd make a quick post
about where I've got with mine and specifically some add-ons I've
found to be okay[1].

My Pi is destined to be a media box replacing an old Xbox running
XBMC. So, one of the XBMC distros for the Pi is the obvious choice.
I've tried RASPBMC and its okay. A bit slow on the menus, etc and I
see far too much error message like text at the top of the screen.
OpenELEC is next to try.

So the hardware accessories I have bought (always with cost in mind are):

Kingston 8GB C10 SD card - £6.70 -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140759300971
HTC USB PSU - £3.95 -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110882169721
HDMI to DVI cable - £2.12 -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230615447381
Scart to RCA + 3.5mm - £1.30 -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320796409735
Remote control - £4.89 -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280637151631

So, all for less that £20. The two cables are: one for my monitor
(HDMI to DVI-D) and one for the Pi's eventual home connected to the
TV. None of that fancy HDMI or LCD TV stuff here.

I've tried all my purchases except the RCA cable and they have all been fine.

Also better add that I had a £5ish USB keyboard from Tesco's here that
I have used with the Pi. Keyboard is redundant now I have the remote
control and it seems to work with RASPBMC more than it doesn't work :)

Not bought a box. Printed out the punnet PDF
(http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1310), stuck that to a cereal box
and cut that out. Warning: the audio socket hole is not quite in the
right place and the Ethernet hole needs to be opened up a bit. Once
glued up its a perfectly good box.

Anyway, hopefully this is of interest to someone.

[1] Warning: I have a fairly high tolerance to crap

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies