[Gloucs] Pascal to Java.

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 28 18:38:03 UTC 2012

For the last 25 years, I have been a member of the Track Gang of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway rebuilding the steam railway on the Toddington to Cheltenham line.

One of my duties was to calculate the slew tables for regulating the curvature of curved track by measuring the versines.  I did this using a program written in the Pascal language.

Now that I am time-expired, a younger guy (ex-IBM) has taken over this
task.  He works not in Pascal but Java.  He has sucessfully translated
some of my software from Pascal to Java  with excellent results.

I would like to learn sufficient Java to keep up with my successor.

Does anyone have a recommendation for this - maybe a book or a web site.

I have installed eclipse on my Debian squeeze  laptops.

I would be particularly interested in techniques to display a visual
representation of the curvature of the track.

Sadly, my friend is not a Linux man. He uses the other O$.

Best regards,

Geoff-on-wheels