[Gloucs] Phorm

Stu Webber stu.webber at gmail.com
Mon May 28 22:24:08 UTC 2012

Short answer, the system is not illegal. It is more a question of consent.

Long answer,

I believe the current status of targeted advertising systems such as phorm
is that they are legal if one is asked to take part, and one agrees. Things
get questionable when one is automatically enrolled, as was seen with the
high profile BT Phorm trials back in 2009.

The EU Directive on Privacy and Electronic Communications prohibits
"unlawful interception and surveillance without the user's consent" so if
one gave consent then it is legal. (IANAL)

Stu