[Gloucs] Print drivers.

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 6 13:46:18 UTC 2012

As a result of Ubuntu ditching their old LTS version, I have been
updating my wife's laptop to Precise Pangolin.

I am having trouble gertting the right driver for her printer.

The HP printer drivers need to know the Linux distro, and the type of
printer.  However, I am at loss to know where CUPS fits in.  I would
guess between the OS and the driver, which in turn addrsses the printer. They do not seem to want to know which version of CUPS.

If I went for a printer network,  would life be any easier ?
All my four machines are on ethernet, but I have always been satisfied with local printing.

What is the significance of CUPS  "classes" ?

Best regards to all the Group.  I hope to get down again one day to
a Meeting.

Geoff (on wheels).