[Herefordshire] Laptop advice

Peter Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 19:22:06 GMT 2004

Edward !

Thats an awful big budget for what you say you want to do ! I run an old Dell Pentium2 machine with a clean Win98 on its own partition with another partition for applications and windows files. On another partiotion I have a Fedora Core 1 installation which I am using to learn the rudiments of linux. All my USB2 peripherals run off a 4 port PCMCIA card, as does the modem etc.The Dell has a cold swappable floppy or cd rom bay, but there is a cable to run a floppy off the printer port, and it is bootable. Finally it is a doddle to get a spare hard drive chassis and swap drives at will( again cold only). I cannot claim that I have had all this peripheral kit working under Linux, but hey you have to apply yourself somewhere!

I recommend a visit to MWPC in Widemarsh St for re-con laptops and spares of all sorts at very reasonable money. Again I promise you, you dont have to spend more than a fraction of your stated budget to get a laptop that will do your asking !

Best of Luck
Pete H@