[Herefordshire] Adding a new hard drive to a Linux system - guidelines??

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Tue Dec 7 21:30:31 GMT 2004

Hi Matt,

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 17:24 +0000, Matt Rhys-Roberts wrote:

> Howdy y'all...
>
> Are there a set of simple steps to adding, recognising and configuring a
> blank hard drive?
>
> I have just found an old (~10Gb) hard drive, which has been low-level
> formatted; no partition info, master boot record or anything on it any
> more. I'd like to add it to my Mandrake system, which if it were a
> Windoze system I'd opt for making it the IDE primary slave.

Good news is that it's the same with Linux, once the drive is installed,
configured and visible to the BIOS then Linux will pick up the drive
just fine.  Probably as /dev/hdb if it's on the primary channel
or /dev/hdd for the secondary.  As it's unpartitioned then you'll need
to run a tool to create the partition table.  It'd personally use fdisk
(i.e. a command line tool) but I'm sure there's a GUI tool in Mandrake
to do it.  Then it needs formatting (mkfs) and mounting (/etc/fstab and
mount), but again I'm sure there are GUI tools to do this as well.  If
you want the full blown command line guide, just ask.  I didn't want to
scare you when there are probably easier ways of doing it.

Thanks
Mark

Mark Broadbent <markb at wetlettuce.com>