[Herefordshire] Automatic detection of a USB memory stick, MDK10.1c ?

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Wed Nov 3 10:47:06 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I have a USB memory stick full of stuff I'd like to copy into my
Mandrake PC, because I'm too ignorant of how to connect a laptop to this
PC via a network cable and it'd probably end up taking weeks to
faultfind. (I'm clueless at IP address configuring which gets me really
depressed.)

At present, when I plug the stick into my PC, the drive gets excited for
a few seconds and the stick lights up for a while, but I've no idea
where to look for the device in the file hierarchy, and it doesn't
appear as an icon on the desktop (as CDs now do!)

The usual thanks and generous beer rations await whoever can educate me
here. I want the memory stick to appear as a virtual drive, from which I
can pull the stored files and put them where I like.

--
Best Regards,
Matt Rhys-Roberts