[Herefordshire] Automatic detection of a USB memory stick, MDK10.1c ?

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Wed Nov 3 11:22:53 GMT 2004

ok,

when you plug in a USB device, you can track whats happening with dmesg
(type dmesg as root user)

for example, when i plug in my Sony Cybershot (with memory stick) you
get to see the following

<--dmesg-->
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x54c/0x10) is not claimed by any active
driver.
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: Sony      Model: Sony DSC          Rev: 4.60
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
USB Mass Storage support registered.
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: sda1
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1810
<--dmesg-->

this has mounted the memory stick in the camera as device /dev/sda1 (as
SCSI device), which mount and can see the images

Just after you plug the device in, type 'dmesg | tail -50 >
dmesg.output' and post the contents of the file, and I can have a look
at whats happening

Malc

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 10:47, Matt Rhys-Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a USB memory stick full of stuff I'd like to copy into my
> Mandrake PC, because I'm too ignorant of how to connect a laptop to this
> PC via a network cable and it'd probably end up taking weeks to
> faultfind. (I'm clueless at IP address configuring which gets me really
> depressed.)
>
> At present, when I plug the stick into my PC, the drive gets excited for
> a few seconds and the stick lights up for a while, but I've no idea
> where to look for the device in the file hierarchy, and it doesn't
> appear as an icon on the desktop (as CDs now do!)
>
> The usual thanks and generous beer rations await whoever can educate me
> here. I want the memory stick to appear as a virtual drive, from which I
> can pull the stored files and put them where I like.
Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446