[Herefordshire] Samba Permissions

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Mon Nov 8 06:51:37 GMT 2004

As well as the Samba config (which should need password encryption to
on, its off for Win95), you may want to check the Unix file permissions
on the directories of the Samba shares. If its a public share, cd into
the directory set it to 'chmod a+rwx .'

Malc

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 00:54, Gary Watts wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know how to make samba shares writeable by Windows XP clients?
>
> I've set the shares to read/write till I'm blue in the face by editing smb.conf, SWAT, WebMin, but I simply cannot write to anything via Windows.  The shares are all on vfat partitions.
>
> I had it working once and I remember it wasn't too difficult - it sort of just worked automatically, but ever since I had to completely reinstall Fedora I cannot get sharing to work properly. Needless to say I'm in big sh*t until I get this fixed!
>
> Gary

Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446