[Herefordshire] Broadband connection.

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 7 08:59:43 BST 2004

Hi Noel

I take a different tack. Using a router/miodem combination is a good idea but
as you will need a decent firewall when you get ADSL, I use IPCop a linux
distro that you install on an old PC (mine is a 350 MHZ PII). There is a new
version of the software ie 1.4 www.ipcop.org.

One of the benefits is that its a bit cheaper (assuming you have some old kit
lying around), and taht you have even more flexibilty then a router.

I use mine for a work VPN (ie a Virtual private Network), so i can safely
connect up , work on my pc, or admin via web interfaces backups, etc etc.

Very useful.

Or you could try Smoothwall, a slightly less GPL version of this. Or Astaro
even !

All are similar packages. IPCop and Smoothwall are actually pretty easy to
setup. can take only 15 mins. Hung of this I use a Fujitsu USB modem - not
the best, but works reliably enough for me.

Julian