[Herefordshire] Lightweight window managers

Ralph Jones ralphj at rya-online.net
Sat Oct 9 21:50:17 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 20:28, Mark Broadbent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Following on from the disscussion had at the last HLUG meeting about
> using a P200 with 64MB of RAM for a firewall but required an X
> installation to ease the administration.  I have come across the
> following link to a mini-review of 4 window managers that require very
> little in the way of raw speed to run:
>
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/18/1937231
>
> It looks at, AfterStep (very nice, used it myself), Enlightenment, IceWM
> and FVWM.  One that it doesn't mention is Fluxbox
> (http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/) which also very lightweight.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Hello all, hello Mark,

My ha'penny's worth:

I can't say much to AfterStep as I haven't tried it (but will give it go
now), but Enlightenment, IceWM and FVWM (2) came bundled with my SuSE
9.0 distro.

I didn't like the look and feel of the latter three (bearing in mind I'm
only your common or garden variety home user) but I did like Fluxbox a
lot. I say I did, because I had no problems getting it setup and
configured to my liking when I was running Fedora 1, but I'm
experiencing problems getting the menu-config up and running with SuSE,
but that is down to me not being in a great urge at the moment to sit
down and read the FAQs, RTFM, man, info pages et al. It seemed so much
easier with FC1. Perhaps if the weather is inclement tomorrow, I might
sit down with an IT-style cup of coffee and give it another go.

The reason I'm even going to bother with Fluxbox (or Blackbox/Openbox)
is the speed with which they load up. By the time KDE/Gnome have warmed
themselves up and got running, I can have three or four apps running
with Fluxbox (in the Fedora days).

Regards to all
Ralph