[Herefordshire] Broadband connection.

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sat Oct 9 23:49:39 BST 2004

Hi,

Actually I have seen some of the free or cheap modems come with one ethernet
port, which should be used in preference to the USB port.  One other thing to
do is to see if you can use something like Smoothwall or IpCop as the
firewall, after all, these can be ran on very slow machines since no window
manager is used, only a lightweight web server.  I also understand some USB
drivers are available for Smoothwall (i.e, a friend of mine has used it with
a USB type modem, not sure though what chipset), and the settings on these
are sensible.

Andrew.