[Herefordshire] wishlist / agenda / structure / etc

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Thu Oct 21 15:30:58 BST 2004

Hi HLUGgers,

I enjoyed our meet, especially the novelty of running a CD-based
operating system last night, that seemed to connect to the internet
effortlessly; also glad to stumble across a few examples of how the
resolv.conf file should be. :) (Still struggling with DNS slowness at
home!)

Having briefly discussed ideas about how to structure our time at a
venue like last night's, or indeed elsewhere, I'd like to say that I
value the DIY/anarchic mode of gathering just as much as the talk &
chalk approach. However, if pressed to list some topics I'd find
useful to learn more about, they'd be:

* Network security
* Soundcard configuration
* How the kernel communicates with different daemons, drivers, apps
* How to write your own device drivers
* File hierarchy philosophy and standards (/etc, /dev, /usr ...)
* Partitioning drives

And topics I'd dare to stand up and talk about would be:

* Audio production techniques
* Electronics engineering for computer projects

Furthermore, if you'd like me to help meetings by 'focalising',
chairing, taking minutes or passing round the talking stick etc., let
me know - it's something I can do if required, but it's not my
profession.

Best regards,

Matt Rhys-Roberts
Leominster