[Herefordshire] Routing two subnets

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Thu Oct 28 21:28:53 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 21:06 +0100, Chris Bond wrote:

> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ntopic25532.html seems to suggest you
> need to fwd the packets using iptables as the default routing is not
> doing nothing – not sure what lines need to be added in a two-subnets
> though…

They are referring to masquerading (source address rewriting).  Your
doing 'normal' routing, Box A will send a packet through the gateway
(Linux Box) to Box B and Box B will reply through through the gateway to
Box A - no address rewriting needed.

Like I said earlier we need the output of 'ipconfig'/'ifconfig' and
'route' on all three machines to see what's going on (and the output of
'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' just for a sanity check).

Thanks
Mark

--
Mark Broadbent <markb at wetlettuce.com>