[Herefordshire] Recommendations for network textbook/s?

Noel McG. herlinux at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 08:40:02 BST 2004

Hello Matt,

I have gleaned the info below from someone else on your behalf.

"Well there are really three different things here.

1. IP addresses and subnet masks are not at all difficult and plenty of
information could be found about them through Google.

2. Looking at the network layers (the stack) is quite a challenge, but
he could do worse than start here:

  http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/7/4/14743/01471

This chap is writing a series of articles on routing, of which the
above is the fourth (others are linked from it). There is more to the
stack than routing but if your man is interested in addressing, subnets
and security then routing is probably at the heart of his interest.

3. Network security is a subject in its own right. O'Reilly books are
all good and I am sure they have one or more on this topic."

Hope this may help.

Noel.

--
Herefordshire Linux Users Group