[Herefordshire] Formatting ext hdd

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 11:33:12 BST 2005

in terms of installing onto USB and/or ieee1394 firewire drivers this
can be tricky with some distro's (Fedora included)

However I use both types of drives for work from my laptop, after the
install on the local disk and apart for the usual screw up when said
external drive controller breaks, they have performed consistently well
and reliably.

One thing to note; ReiserFS is ok, until it breaks. Unlike ext3 it is
very difficult to recover from failures. Also, worth avoiding using LVM
or LVM2 on external drives.

Malcolm

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 00:29, EdwardFW at aol.com wrote:
> I have come across the claim that using Linux partitioning tools to
> format external hard drives is likely to cause problems.
>
> My SUSE 9.2 installation was wrecked when I connected an external
> firewire hard drive. (Then, perhaps because of my lack of ability,
> reiserfsck could not sort it out.) Thus I am cautious.
>
> Anyone have relevant experience that supports or contradicts? Any
> recommendations? I don't plan to alter external hard drives a lot but
> I want to be able to.
>
> Apart from SUSE I am going to get Kubuntu 4.04, and I have Knoppix
> live. I doubt that there is a floppy image that will reach USB and /
> or Firewire??
>
> I have an adaptor to connect 2.5 laptop drives to 3.5 inch drive
> cables and don't mind messing about if necessary so if it is best to
> connect to the internal IDE on some box I will.
>
> I hope to be at the next meeting if anyone would prefer to respond
> there.
>
> Regards, Edward Fowler-Wright

Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446