[Herefordshire] Formatting ext hdd

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 23:24:06 BST 2005

my comments about reiserfs really follow the Red Hat line, ie test
results etc and why its never been the default journaling filesystem in
RH distros; I personally have had issues with reiserfs and xfs and the
ext3 community is the best supported

I've known problems with ext3 also, but they have been resolvable. For
certain applications (/var/spool/mail or larger servers) there are good
alternates to ext3. And for Active-Active clusters, ie GFS, GPFS and
(for Oracle) OCFS / ASM

Malc

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 13:49, EdwardFW at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Malcolm
>
> I don't want to install onto external drives, just use them for
> storage. Useful to hear that they do work for this
>
> Thanks for warning me about reiser too - there I was thinking that I
> was doing the right and up to date thing. Ext3 from now on
>
> Cheers, Edward FW

Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446