[Herefordshire] My details

Gordon Alabaster herelug at centaurus.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 11:49:20 BST 2005

Hi BoX, Ben & Noel,

Thanks for the welcome.

As you noticed, I am a bit of a way from Hereford, in fact when I looked on
the LUG map in LXF I was surprised to see where Hereford is. I had a look at
the home pages for a number of LUGs and thought that yours seemed to have
the right feeling of welcoming and offering help, reasonable ease
of finding forum messages and some useful links, so it was a considered
decision. As I am so far
away, I am not expecting to get to your meetings, but hope to get to know
some of you through discussing my problems and in the future offering help
with other's problems. I am not very near any LUGs but there are several
reasonably close and I may consider joining one for the meets later.

I am wondering about the posting protocol?

I sent my "hello" to the forum address herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk and
am now receiving copies of all messages sent to the forum; so far so good. I
am replying to one message I received and see this generates a message to
the sender and the forum address. I added the other welcomer's addresses as
it seemed right to include you all. I guess this message will now go to the
forum and a copy to each of you. Some duplication here but it should ensure
I contact the right people and get a copy on the forum.

My query is that I could reply just to the sender and cut out the forum or I
could reply just to the forum and hope the sender sees my reply. Also I
assume that the Subject ties the messages into a thread. Any advice?

I am off to fight Mandrake again, so expect a cry for help soon.

Gordon.