[Herefordshire] Re: Laptop HD Replacement

Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 20:14:26 BST 2005

Hi Andrew and Matt

    I guess I was lucky in getting a big disk fully seen by my 2001 machine
but the pre-purchase research warnings seemed to refer to processors that
were older than mine so I took the chance.  I have been trying to get some
of these messages back for posting in case they are of help to others.

    As for Matt's suggestions: well after breaking the handle off the coal
hammer I felt very happy but must have hit the right place at some stage
because the machine now dual boots correctly 80-90% of the time and option 3
is not required (yet). The problem wasn't with jumpers which were set as per
the old disk (for the HD to be Primary Master) it is in fact hardware
related and it's intermittent, variable and unpredictable nature (possibly
temperature related) in retrospect were clues. Hi-Grade identified the
problem straight away as a fault on the I/O board possibly a loose connector
or failing component near-by. Courtesy of Box's excellent suggestion of a
foam rubber pad trapped between the case and the connector to maintain some
pressure the machine now goes at least for the time being.

    Thanks to everyone's help I now have a new Hard Drive which in
retrospect now clearly wasn't the original cause of the boot bother. Missed
clues here was that the disk was breaking up well into the Data Area with
the System Area quite intact and the failure to boot was highly variable
from hour to hour and went on for weeks as the disk was breaking up.

    I have Mandrake 10.0 up and running again so can carry on fumbling
around with what I think is a tremendous project. However in the meantime
I'm not sure whether a distillation of my experiences and progress as a
beginner installing a Hard Drive into a Laptop might be worth a posting or
not.

    Now the next thing. Question for today: If you install a second Linux
Flavour (say Ubuntu) does it over write the resident form (say Mandrake) or
exist quite separately alongside it or exist alongside and share things like
the kernel etc.

Thanks again

Chris   O (Tenbury)