[HLUG] Getting rid of Linux Loader

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 5 21:34:47 BST 2005

Sue & Michael Ranyard wrote:

> I'll try posting this question again, as I am completely stuck.
>
> But now another question.  I have a copy of  Fedora 4 and Debian 3.1
> to  try.  Both come with installers so can I just try installing the
> Fedora  over Mandrake.  Will the installer ammend the Linux Loader
> without me  having to remove it first?

You could do this. It should pick up your Windows partition and provide
a suitable menu item to boot from. I wouldnt go for Debian though, as
its not the easiest to set up if you're not used to it. Fedora is nice
and straightforward, Ubuntu too.

Partly answering your other question :- if you can't get the boot disk
/floppy to work correctly, sometimes its easier top download the one you
want off the web. Just go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download the
right one for you. Some also contain cd drivers too. ie Win95' s boot
floppy didnt actually include a cdrom driver with it...

Julian