[HLUG] debian 3.1

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 15:27:51 BST 2005

julian,

> Linux format hinted as much re the monitor resolution issues. Debian's
> good, but a little conservative sometimes, as its mainly used as a
> server installation.

i can see it being popular for servers, debians stability would be a
big plus there.

> You still have the GUI-tools of Gnome and especially KDE.

i might have been looking in the wrong place, i could only find the
menu where it lets you choose a resolution from a list and 800x600 was
the highest on that list.

> Ubuntu is good, but as you say only ships with a single cd. Suse ships
> with about 7 cd's or a DVD but is quite a different kettle of fish
> compared to Debian.

if i had a good internet connection i would probably have been happy
with  kubuntu. i quite like the idea of using a single installation cd
to get started and then downloading what you need from the internet. a
big stack of cds is a waste of materials and not everyone has a dvd
drive.

> I dont know if you ever tried the old Debian installer, you actually to
> know which modules for which drivers you used ! Ok if you were quite
> techie, but useless for newbies. Its soo much better now.

now you mention it i do recall playing with a debian installation
years ago when i was first started using linux. the installer kept
asking loads of questions that were way beyond my understanding and i
had to give up in the end. the new installer is a lot more friendly,
but it still has a long way to go to catch up with distributions like
suse.

john michaelson