[HLUG] OpenSuse.org

Benjamin Weber b.weber at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Aug 11 22:37:05 BST 2005

Just to clarify, contrary to certain misleading slashdot headlines SuSE has
always been opensource, YaST, which in the past wasn't redistributable has
been GPLed for over a year now. ISOs and netinstall have also been available,
so SUSE has been free in both senses of the word.

The difference with openSUSE is that the development process will be open, the
community can contribute, the bug database is fully open, the development
snapshots are available for download so the community can test them. Novell
will also be making available the tools which they use to put suse together,
and providing servers for building packages.

But yes, first beta for 10.0 has been released for testing, still a beta
release (although suse's betas are of higher quality than many distros final
releases) so check the critical bugs before you put it on a system you don't
want to damage, and bear in mind that 3rd party packages won't be available
and non-free things like java and openoffice which depends on java won't be
included until the final release.

Unlike Red Hat's fedora project, Novell will still be selling boxed sets of
suse linux, with manuals and support as before. Hopefully this will mean that
they will continue to give it the same QA testing as suse has always had in
the past and the release quality will not suffer in the same way as fedora,
we will see.

Some things i've noticed in the beta while trying it out:

kernel 2.6.13-something, with gcc 4.0.2.

There is no longer a default desktop environment, users have to choose between
kde and gnome. (a fairly silly management decision imho, some users don't
know what kde and gnome are)

The boot time has been greatly reduced, boots to X in 18s on my machine, and
KDE fully loaded nearly as soon as X is loaded , fully usable desktop
environment in under 30s, which is nice since suse boot times have been
described as glacial in the past.

YaST (both installation and admin side) has seen some UI improvements, certain
modules which were bad such as the bootloader module have been much improved.

Screenshots:
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=406&slide=28&title=opensuse+linux+10.0+oss+beta+1+screenshots

FAQ:
http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Benji

ps I will be away for a week or so , so won't be able to reply to any replies
to this