[HLUG] floppy mount/umount on Fedora Core 3

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 19 00:57:33 GMT 2005

alabaster wrote:

>Hi John,
>the -o and -n options did not work, -l works sometimes but not always. I
>am using 2 floppies for backup of spreadsheet files and am writing
>latest file to both, so need to switch floppies every time.
>
>I re-read the man and shall look into use of /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
>to see if I can find anything more.
>
>I definitely think Open Office is doing something to mess things up.
>
>I have found that only logoff-logon is required, not a reboot, so a
>simpler work around.
>
>Thanks for pointers.

Hi

I must admit my experince of Linux is that Floppies are not so well
supported as USB memory sticks. I think most developers echo the
response I got last year at the Linux Expo :- 'floppy ? havnet used one
of those for years ! I only use a memory stick for that these days ...'

Whether thsi is the right attitude or not, I think that getting floppies
to work flawlessly is low priority for most distros these days - sadly ...

Julian