[HLUG] Something to think about over Christmas

tundish tundish at thuswise.org.uk
Fri Dec 23 20:53:47 GMT 2005

Hi, all,

Friday at last! Merry Christmas to all you LUGgers!

Had some very interesting conversations over the meal the other week.
Lots of people here with very diverse interests. We all like Open Source
because it's honest, it belongs to everyone and it (usually) works. And
if it doesn't work you can fix it, thus making the world a better place.

Right at the end of the evening, Peter Linnell expressed some
interesting ideas, but this was in the car park when we all had to go.
I suggested we continued it on the list. It was about how to spread the
word to a wider audience. To act locally to bring about some change somehow.

So the question is; in what way could the skills we have in the LUG be
made to benefit the wider community? Would we be able to bring positive
benefit to Charities, or Local Government, or Schools? Where are the
people that need us, and how can we help them?

Peter also mentioned that European funding is available if a case can be
made. We normally don't think about money much, because our software
comes at no cost. But how would we use funding if we had it?

If over the festive season you get bored with Carol Vorderman's DVD
Cluedo and you need to escape the family members you've been avoiding
all year, come and post on this thread about how we can use all this energy.

Right, I'm off to grab the sherry bottle. Have fun!

Cheers,

Dave.