[HLUG] Something to think about over Christmas

Noel McG. etwell at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:25:16 GMT 2005

Hello,

> > So the question is; in what way could the skills we have in the LUG be
> > made to benefit the wider community? Would we be able to bring
> > positive benefit to Charities, or Local Government, or Schools? Where
> > are the people that need us, and how can we help them?

Now what you seem to be thinking about is very laudible, however the
question of ouside funds brings things to mind.

To obtain funds you normally have to 'match fund' that is you need to show
that you have say £100 for each £100 that you are asking for.
You also need either a running project or a business plan to show that you
are serious.In due course you will be expected to account for how the monies
have been spent.

If HLUG itself were to get involved in this we should need a Committee,
Treasurer, Secretary et al.just to keep things straight.  You may remember
that we had a meeting earlier in the year where this came up and the members
decided that they did not wish for that sort of formal setup.

There is also the matter of the HCT who kindly let us use their facilities
free at present.   Should we become fund supported, for whatever reason, we
might well find ourselves without a home.

The alternative seems to be for those that are interested to set up a
Charitable LUG to run separately and take on board the points mentioned
above.

Julian clearly shows below, that there is already a charity doing this and
they no doubt would be only too happy for further help as necessary.

As you say 'thoughts for the New Year.'

Regards,

Noel.