[Herefordshire] Re: Upgrading PHP on remote red hat server

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 10 13:47:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:54:18 +0000, "Ben Stephens"
<foolfodder at gmail.com> said:
> Thanks Julian, that's great,
>
> I have a few questions to follow on,
>
> 1. how do I find out what version of redhat i'm running? I know i've
> got a file called vmlinux-2.2.19-6.2.16 which i'm going to assume
> gives the kernel version.

uname -a

> 2. Change log? Readme file?

Sometimes you will find a file called README - which you should do. Just
bits and pieces that may be useful. This may be in the source files, or
on their site docs.

> I don't seem to have yum, at least, I typed in yum and not much
> happened, no man page either.

REdhat 9 doesnt have it. Fedora does. You can install yum for Redhat I
believe. Someone else can help you better here - i dont use Fedora

> I typed in rpm -q -a and got a list of the installed packages (I
> think) and php didn't seem to be in the list, so can I assume that php
> is installed along with a different package?

difficult to say. Webmin can be useful to see if Apache is configured
with PHP support.

> After some research:
> NSApache-1.0-120 is the installed package which is the webserver. I
> searched for this and I'm fairly sure that this was installed on
> Intel® NetStructure&#8482; 1010/1020 Web Hosting Appliances and from the
> manual on the site it says that the Webserver is Intel's custom
> version of apache which includes PHP, and ssl support. Unfortunately
> they don't seem to have released any updates to this package and have
> stopped supporting the product. This appliance, according to the
> manual, is running a modified version of redhat 6.2.

What are you running it on ? Redhat 6.2 is awfully old now ...

Julian